We are a non-profit organization catering to all levels of lettering enthusiasts. The members of our society include professional calligraphers, tutors and hobbyists with an interest in lettering arts; ranging from traditional, contemporary and experimental forms.
We conduct regular workshops from learning a new script to papermaking, book binding and a range of associated craft activities.
Our objectives are to provide affordable workshops on a regular basis, open to both Southscribe members and non-members. We also hold social ‘hands on’ workshops on the 2nd Saturday of each month from 1-4pm to enable members and non-members the opportunity to meet, exchange ideas and practise their lettering.
Our courses are held at:
Sylvania Community Hall
Canberra Road Sylvania NSW
Courses for Non-Members are $55.00 and Calliart Afternoons are $10.00
As calligraphers we often refer to our "Usual Calligraphy Gear" so to help you out when attending one of our workshops or Calliarts afternoons, Calligraphy Southscribes, Inc. recommends the following:
- Layout pad;
- Dip nibs, e.g. Brause, Mitchell, Speedball**
- Nib Holders**
- Pencils - HB or F
- Non-waterproof black ink, e.g. Chinese ink
- Gouache or watercolour paint if you wish to write in colour
- If using paint - mixing brushes/water jar/ palette
- Rags/paper towel/tissues - for wiping nibs and keeping areas clean and tidy
- Slope board (if you have one).
We recommend Eckersleys at Caringbah for all your equipment.