Yes, it's that time for me to be reminding you that the next meeting and a great Calliarts afternoon is soon approaching.
This month we are going to get creative and create a book or two. To tantalise you:
PAMPHLET BOOK WITH FOLDED COVER
Design Courtesy of Jean Riley
We will be making a small pamphlet sewn book with folded covers which require no gluing. This little book would be suitable as a notebook to keep in a handbag or pocket. The finished size is 12cm x 10cm. Although it is not glued the construction is quite sturdy.
Paper for text block: an A1 size sheet of paper, about 120gsm, cartridge paper is ideal and cheap, but use any you like provided it is not too thick.
Covers. 2 sheets of A3 size very light card, about 160gsm, (Mei-teintes will work well) in two toning or contrasting colours. If you have it bring a third sheet in case we have time to do a second book
Decoration: If you wish you can add some Japanese paper or other decoration to the covers.
· The largest cutting mat you have
· Craft knife with a sharp blade.
· Ruler – 50 or 60cm if you have one or the longest you have, preferably a steel one for cutting.
· Thread – embroidery thread is fine or something similar.
· Sewing needle – not to small – one that will easily fit your thread through the eye.
· Small scissors
· Bone folder
· Awl or similar to put the sewing holes in your text block – a large needle will be OK.
· Small size bulldog clip x 2
We may have time to do a second book and you will have sufficient paper from your A1 sheet for this.